What is / are the special provisions made in the constitution of India for Naga people?
1. No act of parliament applies to Nagaland unless Nagaland Legislative Assembly by resolution so decides
2. Governor of Nagaland has been given special responsibility with respect to law and order in the State
Choose the correct option from the codes given below:
The first statement is fabricated. The correct statement would be as follows:
Notwithstanding anything in this Constitution, no Act of Parliament in respect of-
- religious or social practices of the Nagas,
- Naga customary law and procedure,
- administration of civil and criminal justice involving decisions according to Naga customary law,
- ownership and transfer of land and its resources,
shall apply to the State of Nagaland unless the Legislative Assembly of Nagaland by a resolution so decides;
The second statement is correct. The Governor of Nagaland shall have special responsibility with respect to law and order in the State of Nagaland for so long as in his opinion internal disturbances occurring in the Naga Hills-Tuensang Area immediately before the formation of that State continue therein or in any part thereof and in the discharge of his functions in relation thereto the Governor shall, after consulting the Council of Ministers, exercise his individual judgment as to the action to be taken.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module