Consider the following statements:
1. While the rivers of the Himalayan region follow highly serpentine courses , the rivers of the peninsular plateau flow through rather straight channels
2. The Hydropower generation potential of Himalayan rivers is much larger than that of peninsular rivers
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
• Because of the difference in the landforms, rivers of the Himalayan region follow highly serpentine courses while the rivers of the peninsular plateau flow through rather straight channels.
• The channels peninsular rivers are deeply cut and their courses have become almost stable. This is not a case yet for Himalayan Rivers.
• Due to a large volume of water in Himalayan rivers, they have a much larger potential for generating hydroelectricity in comparison to the peninsular counterparts. But the potential of generating hydroelectricity in the Himalayan region lies unutilized because of several reasons including distance from areas of power demand.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module