Consider the following statements:
1. Convergent plate boundaries produce more explosive volcanoes in comparison to divergent plate boundaries
2. Convergent plate boundaries produce more dangerous earthquakes in comparison to divergent plate boundaries
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
- Explosive Volcanoes
- High Silicic Magma: The magma comes from the subduction of lithospheric crust so it has more of silicate.
- Consumption of the Ocean Floor
- Shallow, Intermediate as well as Deep Focus Earthquakes
- Quite, Non explosive volcanoes
- High Basaltic Magma: Oceanic crust is created at the mid-oceanic ridges; it forms from up welling magma that cools and solidifies to igneous rock.
- Most of this is Basaltic.
- Shield Volcanoes
- Creation of Ocean Floor
- Shallow Focus earthquakes only
In the above question, the second statement is not correct, because any of them can produce dangerous earthquakes
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module