With reference to the seismic waves, consider the following statements:
1. The speed of the P waves slows down in liquid phase
2. The speed of S waves increases in liquid phase
3. Love waves are most destructive and devastating
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
- P waves are longitudinal, travel with a speed between 8 and 14 km. per second, Always travel below the earth surface. The speed of these waves remains unaffected when passes through solid section but slows down on passing through the liquid phase.
- S waves also travel below the earth surface, these travel with a speed of 4 and 6 km. per second. These waves can travel easily thorough the solid sections but looses their identity when passing through liquid portions.
- L waves always travel over the earth surface. These waves travel with a speed of 3 to 4 Km. per second. L waves are most destructive and devastating. These always travel with the same speed when passing through solid and liquid phases.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module