India records 5-point decline in child mortality in under-five mortality rate
As per India's latest Sample Registration System data finalised by the Registrar General of India a 5-point decline was recorded by India in under-five mortality rate. As per the data more females are dying even now before they reach their 5th birthday. India in total saw 15.41 lakh under-five deaths in 2010 as compared to 16.83 lakh in 2009.
As per the data, under 5-Child mortality Rate (Number of deaths per 1,000 live births before reaching 5 years of age) for:
- India (Male Children) = 55
- India (Female Children) = 64
- Rural India (Male Children) = 61
- Rural India (Female Children) = 71
- Urban India (Male Children) = 36
- Urban India (Female Children) = 40
Among Indian states,
- Assam recorded the highest overall under-five mortality rate followed by Madhya Pradesh Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, Bihar and Chhattisgarh.
At the other end of the spectrum,
- Kerala recorded the lowest overall under-five mortality rate of 15 followed by Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra , Delhi , Punjab and Karnataka.
Deaths of female children before their fifth birthday was highest in Assam and UP and lowest in Kerala.
As per the World Health Statistics 2011,
- India has a higher under-5 mortality rate than its neighbours like Nepal and Bangladesh and much higher than in Sri Lanka.