Current Affairs Questions & Answers
1. The feature film "The Man Who Knew Infinity" adapted from a book of same title depicts the life of which among the following idols of India?
[A]Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis
"The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan" is biography of Srinivasa Ramanujan, written in 1991 by Robert Kanigel. The book is being adapted in a film titled "The Man Who Knew Infinity". Dev Patel will play Srinivasa Ramanujan, Jeremy Irons will play G. H. Hardy and Devika Bhise will play Ramanujan’s wife.
2. In the 2014 General Elections, which among the following political parties won least number of seats?
[A]Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
[B]Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)
[C]Aam Admi Party (AAP)
[D]Communist Party of India (CPI)
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) did not win any seats.
3. Consider the following matches:
Election Symbol Political party
1. Hammer, Sickle and Star : Communist Party of India
2. Ears of Corn and Sickle : Communist Party of India (Marxist)
Which among the above is / are correct matches?
[C]Both 1 & 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Neither 1 nor 2
Correct match: Communist Party of India (Marxist)→Hammer, Sickle and Star Communist Party of India→Ears of Corn and Sickle
4. Which among the following prizes is officially known as "International Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics"?
[C]ICTP Ramanujan Prize
Fields Medal is officially known as the International Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics. It is awarded to two, three, or four mathematicians not over 40 years of age at each International Congress of the International Mathematical Union (IMU). Fields Medal and the Abel Prize are called "mathematician's Nobel Prize". The difference between these two prize is that while Fields medal is given to people below age of 40, there is no age restriction in Abel Prize. Further, we note that one of the latest four recipients is Manjul Bhargava, a Canadian-American mathematician of Indian Origin. He is a number theorist and Brandon R Fradd Professor of Mathematics at Princeton University, New Jersey.
5. Who among the following is generally regarded as "modern Meera"?
Mahadevi Varma was a Hindi poet, freedom fighter, woman's activist and educationist, known as the "modern Meera" because of outstanding poetry in Chhayavaad (romanticism).
6. Palk Bay conflict with reference to Indian Fishermen is one of the major challenge in bilateral ties between India and __?
7. Which among the following parliamentary events lead to lapse of a pending bill under certain circumstances?
1. Prorogation in Lok Sabha
2. Adjournment in Lok Sabha
3. Dissolution in Lok Sabha
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[D]1, 2 & 3
Prorogation and Adjournment don’t lead to lapse of bills. Dissolution of Lok Sabha leads to lapse of certain bills as per conditions stipulated in article 107 and 108 of the constitution. We note that 68 government Bills have lapsed on the dissolution of the 15th Lok Sabha.
8. Who among the following will head the newly constructed Expenditure Management Commission (EMC)?
[D]Y V Reddy
Union government has decided to constitute an Expenditure Management Commission (EMC) to be headed by former RBI governor Bimal Jalan. This commission will give recommendations to reduce fiscal deficit and suggest ways to overhaul for reducing the food, fertilizer and oil subsidies and other ways of controlling fiscal deficit.
9. The “White stem borer” is a most destructive type of pest affects which one of the following crops?
10. “Jai Bhagwan” who has been chosen for prestigious Arjun Award, is an exponent which of the following sports/events?