Current Affairs Questions & Answers
1. In the recent FTA, which India has signed with ASEAN on services and investments, which country is yet to sign the same out of the 10 member states of ASEAN?
Philippines is yet to sign the same as it had to overcome some domestic procedures before signing.
2. Who among the following has received the MIDORI Prize for biodiversity 2014?
R. Kamal Bawa, president, the Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), India, and distinguished professor, University of Massachusetts, Boston, is among the three winners of the MIDORI Prize for Biodiversity 2014. The other two who bagged the prize are: Dr. Alfred Oteng-Yeboah, Chair, Ghana National Biodiversity Committee, and Dr. Bibiana Vila, principal researcher, the National Research Council and Director, Vicunas, Camelids and Environment (VICAM), Argentina.
3. Serena Williams has won the women's singles title of US Open Grand Slam. She played the final against which other player?
This was the 18th Grand Slam title for Serena Williams.
4. Who has recently won the title of US Open men's singles Grand Slam held at New York?
Croatian Marin Cilic has defeated Japan's Kei Nishikori to bag the men's singles US Open Grand Slam
5. India's first Coral Garden is coming up in which among the following states?
[C]Andaman and Nicobar Islands
India's first 'Coral garden' will be set up at Mithapur coastal region of Devbhoomi-Dwarka district in Gujarat.
6. In which ocean massive 100 million-year-old ancient extinct volcano was discovered?
A new seamount near the Johnson Atoll in the Pacific Ocean during a seafloor mapping mission.
7. What is favipiravir?
[A]An anti-viral drug to cure Ebola
[B]An anti-viral drug to cure Dengue
[C]An anti-viral drug to cure bird flu
[D]An anti-viral drug to cure SARS
An anti-viral drug to cure Ebola
Favipiravir is an anti-viral drug to cure Ebola virus spread and infection. It is also known by the brand name of Avignan. It acts by inhibiting viral gene replication within infected cells to prevent propagation.
8. Which among the following is a partially recognized state?
Abkhazia has got its independent status only from a few countries like Russia, Venezuela and Nicaragua.Raul Khajimba is the leader of Abkhazia’s biggest opposition party, the Forum of the National Unity of Abkhazia.
9. Which country has declared plans to issue world's first digital currency?
Ecuador has declared its plans to launch world's first digital currency.The currency will be issued by Central Bank of Ecuador has been approved by Ecuador's National Assembly in July 2014.
10. The world famous Ice Bucket Challenge has raised tremendous amounts of funds for research for the disease known as ALS. What is the full form of ALS?
[A]Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
[B]Amyotrophic lateral suspension
[C]Arterial lateral sclerosis
[D]Arterial lateral suspension
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is commonly known as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," leads to progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.