GK & Current Affairs: March 3, 4-2014
1. The “Crimean Tatars” or Crimeans who are in news recently, are a Muslim ethnic group native to which country?
The “Crimean Tatars” or Crimeans, are a Muslim ethnic group native to the Crimea in modern-day Ukraine.
2. In which among the following countries world’s largest salt pan “Salar de Uyuni” is located?
The largest salt pan in the world is the Salar de Uyuni, located in the Potosi and Oruro, Bolivia. It covers 4,086 square miles and is located at an elevation of 11,995 feet.
3. Which of the following is/are the member countries of BIMSTEC?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2, 3 & 4
[B]Only 1, 3, 4 & 5
[C]Only 1, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Only 1, 3 & 4
Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), is a regional grouping of seven south and East Asian countries. Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand are the member countries of the BIMSTEC.
4. Among the following satellites, which is the India’s first dedicated spacecraft for defence applications?
GSAT-7, the multi band communication satellite named Rukmini is the first satellite by ISRO that will provide services to the Indian defence forces with the main user being Indian Navy.
5. “Chandi Prasad Bhatt”, who has been selected for the 2013 Gandhi Peace Prize is a pioneer of the ____?
[A]Narmada Bachavo Andolan
[D]Jungle Bachao Andolan
Eminent Gandhian and environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt has been selected for the 2013 Gandhi Peace Prize. Bhatt is a pioneer of the chipko movement for which he was also awarded the Magsaysay Award in 1982. He was also given the Padma Bhushan in 2005.
6. According to Worldwide Cost of Living Index 2014, which of the following cities has been ranked world’s most expensive city?
Singapore topped 131 cities globally to become the world’s most expensive city to live in 2014, according to the economist intelligence unit (IEU). Beside Singapore, cities making up the top five most expensive cities to live in are Paris, Oslo, Zurich, and Sydney, with Tokyo falling to sixth place. As per the index Mumbai is the cheapest location in the world.
7. Recently, Leaders at the third BIMSTEC summit in Myanmar agreed to establish a permanent secretariat in which country to oversee the regional grouping of nations on a full time basis?
BIMSTEC (the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Mutli-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) member countries have established a permanent secretariat in Bangladesh to oversee the regional grouping of nations on a full time basis. Sumith Nakadala is the first Secretary General of BIMSTEC.
8. Pacaya is an active complex volcano and popular tourist attraction located in____?
Pacaya is an active complex volcano in Guatemala. It is also a popular tourist attraction.
9. Who among the following has been appointed as the Secretary General of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)?
[A]Yadav Kanta Silwal
[B]Arjun Bahadur Thapa
[C]Shiva Prasad Koirala
Arjun Bahadur Thapa
Nepal’s former Foreign Secretary Arjun Bahadur Thapa has assumed charge as the Secretary General of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). Thapa, who succeeds Ahmed Saleem of Maldives, is the 12th Secretary General of the regional grouping. This is the second time Nepal assumed the top post of the regional body since its establishment in 1995.
10. Which of the following statements is correct about “Solvency II”?
[A]It is a European Union (EU) directive for insurance companies
[B]It is a World Bank guideline for international banking
[C]A RBI framework on financial regulations
[D]It is a European Union (EU) directive for banking companies
It is a European Union (EU) directive for insurance companies
Solvency II is a fundamental review of the capital adequacy regime for the European insurance industry. It aims to establish a revised set of EU-wide capital requirements and risk management standards with the aim of increasing protection for policyholders.