GK & Current Affairs: July 24, 2013
1. Recently, a travel website listed Ghoomar, a folk dance of India among Top 10 world’s most amazing local dances. This dance is from ___?
Ghoomar is a folk dance of Rajasthan and is characteristic dance of the Bhils. It is a community dance performed by groups of women on auspicious occasions. The name is derived from the word ghoomna (pirouetting).
2. Afghanistan’s first woman governor, who is also the recent winner of Ramon Magsaysay Award is__?
Afghanistan’s first and only female governor Habiba Sarabi has been chosen for Ramon Magsaysay Award. Habiba Sarabi was honoured for helping build a functioning local government and pushing for education and women’s rights in Afghanistan’s Bamyan provenance despite discrimination and poverty.
3. As per the data released by Planning Commission, India’s Poverty ratio in 2011-12 stands at __?
The number of India’s poor fell to less than a quarter of its population in 2011-12 according to a Planning Commission estimate. The commission said the number of those below poverty line declined to 21.9% of the population in 2011-12, from 29.8% in 2009-10 and 37.2% in 2004-05.
4. The Ramnath Goenka awards are given for excellence in the field of___?
As part of centenary year celebration of its founder, Ramnath Goenka, The Express Group instituted the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism awards. The awards aim to celebrate excellence in journalism, recognize courage and commitment and showcase outstanding contributions and individuals every year. TV18 has bagged six trophies at the sixth Ramnath Goenka Awards for excellence announced recently.
5. “Tikka” is a most destructive fungal disease affects which of the following Crops?
Tikka or leaf spot is the most destructive fungal disease of Groundnut and has been reported from all most all ground nut growing areas of the World. The disease caused by Phaeoisariopsis personata is known as leaf spot while that caused by Cercospora arachidicola as early leaf spot.
Wells Fargo & Co
US based Wells Fargo has replaced the Industrial & Commercial Bank (ICBC) as the world’s largest bank by market capitalization.
7. Which of the following companies has adopted the Taj Mahal under the Clean India Campaign of Ministry of Tourism?
The Taj Mahal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, will be adopted by Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), under the Clean India Campaign under Ministry of Tourism.
8. Consider the following:
2.H5N1 (bird flu)
Which of the above mentioned diseases are in the list of notifiable diseases?
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2,3 & 4
[C]Only 2 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
A notifiable disease is any disease that is required by law to be reported to government authorities. All the above are in the list of notifiable diseases.
9. Martina Hingis, who has been inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame, hails from which country?
Martina Hingis is a Swiss professional tennis player who spent a total of 209 weeks as World No.1. She won five Grand Slam singles title. She also won nine Grand Slam women’s double titles.
10. Who among the following has became the costliest player in Indian Badminton League auction?
[D]Lee Chong Wei
Lee Chong Wei
World number one Lee Chong Wei bagged the costliest deal when he was brought by Mumbai Masters for approximately Rs 8,019,032.