GK & Current Affairs: July 18, 2013
1. Currently, the Panchayat Raj system is not present in which of the following states?
[A]Nagaland, Meghalaya and Mizoram
[B]Nagaland, Tripura and Mizoram
[C]Meghalaya, Assam and Nagaland
[D]Meghalaya, Tripura and Nagaland
Nagaland, Meghalaya and Mizoram
The Panchayat Raj system exists in all the states except Nagaland, Meghalaya and Mizoram and in all the Union territories except Delhi.
2. As per the latest data by World Federation of Exchanges, which of the following has regained its position as the World’s largest bourse in terms of volume in equity trade?
National Stock Exchange (NSE) has regained its position as the world’s largest bourse in terms of volume in equity trade. NSE registered 11.2 crore trades on its platform, making it the world’s top exchange among the 50 bourses listed with WFE. NSE was followed by NYSE Euronext and Nasdaq OMX.
3. As present, how many states have Woman Chief Ministers?
Presently three Indian States viz., Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and New Delhi have woman chief ministers. Jayalalitha and Mamata Banerjee are currently ruling in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal respectively. Sheila Dikshit of Delhi has the distinction of longest serving woman chief minister in post independent India having been at the helm of affairs for the past 12 years.
4. Who among the following is the chairman of the forum constituted for exchange of views between industry groups and government on tax related issues?
[A]Dr Parthasarathi Shome
[B]C Ranga Rajan
Dr Parthasarathi Shome
Ministry of Finance constitutes a forum Chaired by Dr. Parthasarathi Shome, advisor to the Finance Minister for exchange of views between industry group and government on tax related issues or tax related disputes. The forum will meet every Wednesday.
5. Recently, which of the following state government has given its approval for tapping unfermented sap or neera from the coconut?
The Government of Kerala has given its nod for tapping neera or unfermented sap from coconut across the state. Neera, sweet toddy that is a non-alcoholic drink, is got from the immature inflorescence of coconut. Neera tapping would be implemented in units of 1,500 coconut trees in each districts across the state initially as a pilot project.
6. As per the latest data (June, 2013), India ranks _____ in terms of number of internet users.
India is the third largest country in terms of number of Internet users. China ranks top in the list followed by USA.
7. World's largest steel maker ArcelorMittal has scrapped its 12 billion dollar steel plant project in __?
ArcelorMittal has announced scrapping of its 12 million tonne per year integrated steel plant in Keonjhar district of Odisha where it was supposed to invest Rs.40,000 crore. The reasons cited are political and administrative bottlenecks.
8. Recently, it was reported in the newspapers that in June 2013, the Inflation was 4.86%, mainly driven by the food articles. This data is based upon?
[A]Wholesale Price Index
[B]Consumer Price Index
[C]Index of Industrial Production
[D]Consumer Price Index for Agricultural Labourers
Wholesale Price Index
Inflation based on the Wholesale Price Index rose to 4.86 per cent in June this year, driven mainly by rising prices of food articles, especially vegetables.
9. Who among the following has been awarded with the Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters, the highest cultural award of France?
Paul Hewson, popularly known as Bono, the frontman of the rock band U2 as well as the anti-poverty activist was awarded with the Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters, the highest cultural award of France for the contribution of music. He was also praised for utilizing his popularity for the sake of humanitarian causes.
10. According to Buddhist tradition, the fifth Buddha, that is yet to come is__?
Maitreya, is forefold as a future Buddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. Maitreya is bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure dharma. According to scriptures, Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Sakyamuni Buddha.