GK & Current Affairs: January 28-31, 2014
1. In which among the following states, the government is proposing a Neutrino-based Observatory?
Neutrino-based Observatory is proposed to be established in Tamil Nadu at a cost of about Rs 1450 crore.
2. Prof C N R Rao, who was recently awarded Bharat Ratna holds which among the following offices currently?
[B]Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister
[C]Chairman of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
[D]None of them
Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister
Prof Rao, Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, is the third scientist after C V Raman and former President A P J Abdul Kalam, to be conferred with the honour. Tendulkar and Prof. Rao have now joined the select list of 41 eminent personalities who have been conferred with the award that is given in recognition o f exceptional service of the highest order since it was instituted in 1954.
3. Who among the following is the chairman of the recently constituted 7th Pay Commission?
[A]Justice Ashok Kumar Mathur
[B]Dr Rathin Roy
Justice Ashok Kumar Mathur
Former Supreme Court Justice Ashok Kumar Mathur has been appointed as the Chairman of the 7th Pay Commission. The Commission has been mandated to submit its report in two years time and its recommendations would be implemented from 1st of January 2016. Government constitutes Pay Commission almost every ten years to revise the pay scales of its employees and often these are adopted by states after some modification.
4. Recently, the government of India has launched a new initiative called MeghRaj. What is this MeghRaj?
[A] Its a new Monsoon prediction system
[B]It’s a new project related to Cloud Computing
[C]It’s a new service under Department of Posts
[D]It’s a new scheme for India’s Rainfed areas
It’s a new project related to Cloud Computing
MeghRaj, technically called GI Cloud is a new project launched by the Government of India to harness the benefits of Cloud Computing. The GI Cloud facility would ensure optimum utilization of the infrastructure and speed up the development and deployment of eGovernance applications. It will also help the departments to procure ICT services on demand. The National Informatics Centre, NIC is providing Cloud services under the initiative MeghRaj.
5. The Union government has recently given its approval for setting up of the first ESDM (electronic system design and manufacturing) in which city?
The Union government gave its in-principle approval for setting up of the first ESDM (electronic system design and manufacturing) in electronic city, Bangalore. ESDM is the fastest growing segment of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and is projected to be a $400 billion industry by the end of this decade.
6. Recently, a new term “Fragile Five” is being used to describe countries that have witnessed economic turmoil in recent years. Which of the following correctly represent “Fragile Five” countries?
[A]Turkey, Brazil, India, South Africa and Indonesia
[B]Turkey, Britain, India, China and Japan
[C]India, China, Japan, South Africa and Indonesia
[D]India, China, Turkey, Japan and Britain
Turkey, Brazil, India, South Africa and Indonesia
The term Fragile Five has been coined by a research analyst at Morgan Stanley which identifies Turkey, Brazil, India, South Africa and Indonesia as economies that have become too dependent on skittish foreign investment to finance their growth ambitions.
7. Kethy Cross, who has become first woman umpire on ICC panel, belongs to which country?
New Zealand umpire Kethy Cross has become the first woman to be named in an ICC umpires panel-she was added to the ICC Associate and Affiliate panel of umpires for 2014.
8. Recently India has become the third country in the world to have Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) in the world. The other two countries which have SBFT facility are?
[A]United States and Japan
[B]United States and Ukraine
[C]China and Japan
[D]China and South Korea
United States and Ukraine
India has joined the elite group of nations when the Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) was commissioned into the Indian navy at INS Hansa in Panaji. India has become the third country to have
such facility in the world after United States and Ukraine.
9. According United Nation latest report, which country has by far the largest population of illiterate adults in the world?
India has by far the largest population of illiterate adults at 287 million, amounting 37 per cent of the global total, according UN report. The report further said that the richest young women in India have already achieved universal literacy but the poorest are projected to only do so around 2080.
10. In which of the following cities India’s first monorail service has been launched, recently?
India’s first monorail service has commenced its operation on the 8.9 km Wadala-Chembur section in the central-eastern suburb of Mumbai. The Rs 3000 crore mono rail project is being implemented in two phases. The phase comprises the 8.9 km long Wadala-Chembur section, which is now thrown open to the public while the second phase the service will be extended to Sant Gadge Maharaj Chowk in South Mumbai.
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here