GK & Current Affairs: August 6, 2013
1. Who among the following has been appointed as the 23rd Governor of Reserve Bank of India?
[A]Dr Raghuram Ranjan
[D]H R Khan
Dr Raghuram Ranjan
Chief Economic Advisor Raghuram Rajan has been appointed as the next Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. Mr Ranjan will replace D. Subbarao, who completes his five year term on September 4, 2013 and will the 23rd Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
2. Name the Indian Chess Player who has won Politiken Cup in Denmark.
Indian Grandmaster Parimanjan Negi emerged convincing winner of the 2013 Politiken Cup following his last-round victory against earlier co-leader Sabino Bruneliio of Italy. This is his second trophy at the Politiken Cup following the success in 2009.
3. Which of the following places is famous for “Chikankari Work”, a traditional embroidery art?
Chikankari is a traditional embroidery style from Lucknow, India. Literally translated, the word means embroidery. Believed to have been introduced by Nur Jehan, Mughal emperor Jahangir’s wife it is one of the Lucknow’s most famous textile decoration style.
4. The Great Himalayan National Park, which is under consideration to inscribe on the World Heritage list, is located in which state?
The Great National Park is the newest addition to the India’s National Parks, located in Kullu region in the State of Himachal Pradesh. The Great National Park is a habitat to more than 375 fauna species.
5. Recently (August, 2013), Foreign Investment Promotion Board of India has cleared Jet-Etihad Airlines deal. Etihad would be buying what per cent of stake in Jet Airways?
The foreign investment promotion board of India conditionally approved a $379 million deal by Abu Dhabi based Etihad Airways to buy a 24 percent stake in Jet Airways, the first foreign investment in an Indian airline since restrictions were eased on aviation deals last year.
6. What is the upper age limit for remaining as President of India is?
[D]There is no age limit
There is no age limit
There is no maximum age limit for the post of President of India.
7. Recently (August 2013), Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved how much percent disinvestment in Indian Oil Corporation?
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the proposal for the sale of 10 percent Government stake in Indian Oil Corporation. The proposal is expected to collect 3840 crore rupees to the exchequer at the current market price.
8. As per the latest estimates, the per capita availability of fruits in India is?
As per the latest estimates, the per capita availability of fruits and vegetables in the country is 200 gram and 401 gram, respectively which is comparable to world average. During 2011-12, the production of fruits and vegetables in India was 76.42 million tones and 156.33 million tones, respectively.
9. Which one of the following countries, has largest postal network in the world?
India has largest postal network in the world with 1, 54, 866 post offices as on March 31, 2011 of which 1, 39, 040 are in the rural areas.
10. mKRISHI, the platform which uses mobile technology to cater to the needs of the rural sector, has been launched by?
[B]Tata Consultancy Services
[C]MS Swaminathan Foundation
Tata Consultancy Services
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here