GK & Current Affairs : August 29. 2013
1. As per the latest data, which state had largest number people living with HIV/AIDS in 2011?
As per the HIV estimation 2012, the total estimated number of people living with HIV in 2011 in India was 2088642. With 4,19,180 people living with HIV/AIDS Andhra Pradesh tops the list.
2. The Appalachian Mountains are in______?
The Appalachian Mountains, often called the Appalachians, are a system of mountains in eastern North Americas.
3. Which one of the following is not a project component under “Bharat Nirman”?
Bharat Nirman is for creating and augmenting basic rural infrastructure. It comprises projects on irrigation, roads, housing, water supply, electrification and telecommunication connectivity.
4. Which of the followings is the largest wind energy producing country in world?
China is the largest wind energy producing country in the world.
5. The Muziris Heritage Project, the largest heritage conservation project in India is associated which state?
To reinstate the historical and cultural significance of the legendary port of Muzuris, the government of Kerala has initiated the Muziris Heritage Project.
6. Who among the following has been conferred the first “Mahathir Award for Global Peace”?
The first Mahathir Award for Global Peace has been awarded to former South African President Nelson Mandela. Malaysia has introduced the Mahathir for global peace award in effort to promote peace for all.
7. Currently, with which of the following countries India has signed Currency Swap agreement?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 1 & 3
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
Only 1 & 3
India has currency swap agreements with Japan and Bhutan worth $15 billion and $100 million respectively. China too has shown interest in entering such an agreement with India.
8. What is the India’s first dedicated spacecraft for defence applications?
India’s maritime security will get a fresh impetus as the stage is now set for the launch of an exclusive home-built satellite GSAT-7 for the Navy by European space consortium Arianespace from Kourou spacefort in French Guina. GSAT-7 is India’s first dedicated spacecraft for defence applications. It has frequency bands that will help marine communications.
9. Which of the following states will have World Class Life Science Park called “Bio 360”?
Kerala State government laid the foundation stone of Bio 360, a life science park. It was initiated by state owned Kerala State Industrial Development in the outskirts of state capital Thiruvananthapuram. The first phase of Bio 360 will come up in 75 acres of land and the project would be ready in two years.
10. Which of the followings are Rabi Crops?
[A]Wheat, Maize, Barley, Sugarcane
[B]Wheat, Mustard, Barley, Gram
[C]Millet, Sorghum, Sunflower, Soyabean
[D]Sorghum, Wheat, Barley, Sunflower
Wheat, Mustard, Barley, Gram
Rabi crop refers to agricultural crops sown in winter and harvested in the spring. The Rabi crops are grown between the months mid November to April. Example of Rabi Crops: Wheat, Mustard, Barley, Gram and Peas.