GK & Current Affairs: April 5, 6, 2014
1. In April 2014, who among the following has been appointed as next Chief Justice of India?
[A] Justice R M Lodha
[B] Justice H L Dattu
[C] B S Chauhan
[D] A K Patnaik
Justice R M Lodha
Justice R M Lodha will take over as the next Chief Justice of India from present incumbent Justice P Sathasivam who retires later this month. Lodha, who is the senior-most judge of the apex court after Justice Sathasivam, will assume his new charge on April 27 and will have a brief tenure of the five months as CJI and is due to retire on September 27 this year.
2. Which among the following companies is NOT a part of open-ended exchange traded fund Central Public Sector Enterprises Exchange-Traded Fund (CPSE ETF)?
[A]Oil & Natural Gas Corporation
[B]Container Corporation of India
[C]Steel Authority of India Ltd
[D]Power Finance Corporation
Steel Authority of India Ltd
The CPSE ETF basket consists of shares of 10 PSUs — Oil & Natural Gas Corp, GAIL India, Coal India, Indian Oil, Oil India, Power Finance Corp, Rural Electrification Corp, Container Corp, Engineers India and Bharat Electronics.
3. The current (2014) chairperson of India's National Innovation Foundation is __?
[A]Dr. Raghunath Anant Mashelkar
[D]Prof. Yash Pal
Dr. Raghunath Anant Mashelkar
Raghunath Anant Mashelkar is the recent winner of Padma Vibhushan. He is among the most visible votaries of innovation. The former director general of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research is today president of Global Research Alliance, a network of some 60,000 scientists from around the world, and chair of India’s National Innovation Foundation. Mashelkar has become a much sought after adviser for companies upping their innovation ante
4. The AK-47 rifle features on the flag of which among the following countries?
The AK features on the flag of Mozambique, commemorating its role in that nation's independence struggle. It also features on the Hezbollah flag.
5. Who among the following personalities has been nicknamed the Sheriff of Wall Street by Time magazine?
[C]Sant Singh Chatwal
Preetinder Singh "Preet" Bharara (born 1968) is an Indian American attorney and the current U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York. In 2012, Bharara was named by Time magazine as one of "The 100 Most Influential People in the World," and by India Abroad as its 2011 Person of the Year. Bharara was also featured on a cover of Time Magazine entitled "This Man is Busting Wall Street" for his office's prosecutions of insider trading and other financial fraud on Wall Street. Time Magazine also nicknamed him as "Sheriff of Wall Street".
6. China's top legislature is known as ___?
[A]National People's Congress
[B]National People's Assembly
[C]Supreme People's Procuratorate
National People's Congress
National People's Congress or NPC is top legislature of China. It is the largest parliamentary body in the world with around 3000 members. Among the given options, Legislative Yuan is the legislature of Taiwan, a state with limited recognition.
7. Low-enriched uranium (LEU) is the Uranium which has __:
[A]Less than 20% concentration of U-235
[B]Less than 20% concentration of U-238
[C]Less than 5% concentration of U-235
[D]Less than 10% concentration of U-238
Less than 20% concentration of U-235
Low-enriched uranium (LEU) has a lower than 20% concentration of 235U
8. Manuel Valls has been recently appointed as Prime Minister of __?
Manuel Valls was appointed the new prime minister of France in a big reshuffle by François Hollande, the president, following a humiliating defeat for the ruling Socialists in local elections
9. Which among the following is the first confirmed Earth-sized exoplanet orbiting within the habitable zone of another star?
Kepler-186f, the first Earth-sized exoplanet orbiting within the habitable zone of another star has been confirmed by observations with both the W. M. Keck Observatory and the Gemini Observatory in April 2014. It is 500 Light Years away from earth.
10. Which among the following dates is observed as Anti-Leprosy Day in India?
To commemorate Mahatma Gandhi’s selfless efforts to care for those affected by leprosy, January 30, the day of his martyrdom, is observed as Anti-Leprosy Day.