GK & Current Affairs: April 3, 4, 2014
1. Who among the following is the author of novel “The Lowland” ?
Jhumpa Lahiri’s “The Lowland” is the one of the six books shortlisted for the prestigious Baileys women prize for fiction. The book is about two Indian brothers who lives diverge in the tumultuous 1906s. It was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize last year.
2. Recently, United Kingdom 2014 Asian award for outstanding achievement in sports was won by __?
[B]M S Dhoni
M S Dhoni
Mahendra Singh Dhoni won the 2014 Asian award for outstanding achievement in sports in London.
3. Recently, which of the following countries has overtaken South Africa to become Africa’s largest economy?
Nigeria has overtaken South Africa as Africa’s largest economy after a "rebasing" of its GDP figures. Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country with 170 million people, has been growing as a destination for foreign investors owing to the size of its consumer market and increasingly sophisticated capital markets.
4. Who among the follwing was first cinematographer to be chosen for the prestigious Dhada Saheb Phalke award?
[B]B. S. Lokanath
[C]B. C. Gowrishankar
[D]V. K. Murthy
V. K. Murthy
V K Murthy, who recently passed away, was a famous cinematographer. Considered as the doyen of cinematography, he was the first cinematographer to be chosen for the prestigious Dhada Saheb Phalke award?
5. Which of the following countries / regions was recently making news for "Sunflower Student Movement"?
The Sunflower Student Moment was a protest in Taipei over controversial trade accord between China and Taiwan. The protest movement was organised by the students and civic bodie
6. Wisden’s Five Cricketer of the year for 2013 has been awarded to __?
India’s swashbuckling opening batsman Shikar Dhawan has been named as one of the five cricketers of the year, an honour dating back to 1889, by Wisden for his performance in 2013. The cricketer of the year is chosen by the editor of the Wisden Cricketer’s Almanak based on their excellence in or performance on, the previous English summer. It can be won only once in a player’s career.
7. “Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca” has recently become the youngest-ever president of ___?
Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca took the oath of office as President of Malta. She is Malta’s ninth President and the second female President.
8. “Panama disease” or “Fusarium Wilt” is a most deadly disease related to which crop?
Panama disease is a plant disease of the roots of banana plants. It is a type of Fusarium wilt, caused by the fungal pathogen Fusarium oxysporum.
9. Author of "Accidental Prime Minister: The making and unmaking of Manmohan Singh” is ___?
Manmohan Singh’s former media advisor Sanjaya Baru is the author of the controversial book “Accidental Prime Minister: The making and unmaking of Manmohan Singh”. In the book, Baru says PM Singh was defanged in his second term in office and quotes Dr Singh as having told him that there cannot be two centres of power-an obvious reference to Congress president Sonia Ghandi.
10. The Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD) is a global knowledge partnership on migration and development launched by ___?
[C]Asian Development Bank