Who is entitled for legal aid?

When an accused has been sentenced by a Court, but he is entitled to appeal against the verdict, he can claim legal aid; if he is indigent and is not able to afford the counsel, the State must provide a counsel to him. The Supreme Court has taken a big innovative step forward in humanising the administration of criminal justice by suggesting that free legal aid be provided by the State to poor prisoners facing a prison sentence. In M. H. Haskot v. State of Maharashtra, the Apex Court has emphasized that the lawyer’s services constitute an ingredient of fair procedure to a prisoner who is seeking liberation through the Court’s procedure.