Current Affairs Quiz: October 8, 2013
1. Who among the following has become first elected Tamil Chief Minister of Sri Lanka?
[B]C V Wigneswaran
C V Wigneswaran
C V Wigneswaran sworn in as the first elected Tamil Chief Minister of Northern Provenance the stronghold of the vanquished rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam (LTTE).
2. Francois Englert and Peter Higgs, who have won 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics, belong to which of the following countries respectively?
Physicists Francois Englert of Belgium and Peter Higgs of Britain have won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Physics. The two scientists have been chosen for the
“theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding the origin of mass of subatomic particles”.
3. GlaxoSmithKline is making news for developing world’s first malaria vaccine called ___?
British drug maker GlaxoSmithKline is seeking regulatory approval for the world’s first malaria vaccine after trial data showed that it had reduced the number of cases in African children. The vaccine known as RTS, S was found to have almost halved the number of malaria cases in young children in the trial and to have reduced by about 25% the number of malaria cases in infants. GSK is developing RTS,S with non-profit Path Malaria Vaccine Initiative supported by funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
4. Who among the following has won International Press Institute Award for excellence in Journalism?
Karan Thapar, the well-known television journalist, has won the International Press Institute Award for excellence in Journalism.
5. Which of the following is the venue for the 9th World Trade Organisation Ministerial conference which will be held in December 2013?
The 9th WTO ministerial conference will be held in Bali from December 3-6. The ministerial conference is the highest decision making body of the 158 member WTO which meet at least once in every two years.
6. Currently, India is not a member state to which one of the following organisations?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[B]Only 2 & 3
[D]Only 3 & 4
Only 2 & 3
7. Which of the following statement is true about SpiNNaker project?
[A]It is a project to develop human brained robots
[B]A novel computer architecture, inspired by fundamental structure & function of human brain.
[C]It is a project to develop world’s fastest super computer
[D]A project to send some animals on other terrestrial planets
A novel computer architecture, inspired by fundamental structure & function of human brain.
8. The first mega food park in Uttar Pradesh would be set up in Jagdishpur of Amethi district. This mega food park would be developed by__?
[C]Aditya Birla Group
Aditya Birla Group
The first mega food park in Uttar Pradesh would be set up in Jagdishpur of Amethi district. This park would have 35 processing units and would employ 25000 people of the state. The park would be developed by Aditya Birla Group through Indo-Gulf fertilizers, one of its business arms.
9. Who among the following has won China Open Men’s single tennis title 2013?
Novak Djokovic defeated Rafael Nadal in straight sets to retain his China open crown and his world number one berth.
10. On which of the following days “World Habitat Day” was observed?
The United Nation has designated the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of the day is to create awareness about the
state of the towns and cities and the basic human right to adequate shelter. The theme of this year is Urban Mobility to encourage people to shift towards
more sustainable modes of transportation.
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here