Current Affairs Quiz: October 1, 2013
1. In October 2013, which of the following states has launched “Kanyashree” project with an aim to bring betterment to the life of girl children?
West Bengal state government launched a new project called the “Kanyashree” with an aim to betterment to the life of the girl children. The scheme is designed to stop school dropouts, Female Trafficking and Child marriage among women of the state. The state’s unmarried girl children ranging from 13 to 18 year of age will benefit from the programme.
2. According to Global Agewatch Index (2013), which of the following ranked first in the best place in the world to be old?
Sweden is the best place in the world to be old and Afghanistan the worst. The Global Agewatch Index examined the quality of life of the elderly in 91 countries. The study is based on the 13 indicators.
3. On which among the following dates, the International Day for Older persons is observed ?
The International Day for older persons is observes on October 1. The day recognizes the contributions of older persons in the society and examines the issues that affect their lives. This year the theme of the day is: the future we want: what older persons saying it.
4. Who among the following has been appointed as Chairman of India Premier League (IPL)?
Ranjib Biswal, the Odisha Cricket Association chief, has been named as the IPL chairman.
5. In which of the following places world’s longest railway platform is being coming up?
Gorakhpur in UP is set to make its mark on world map with the longest railway platform (1,355 metres). As of now, Kharagpur in West Bengal has the longest platform at 1,072 metres, followed by State Street Centre subway station Chicago. Once it becomes operational the platform will be able to accommodate two trains of 26 coaches each at a time.
6. Recently (October, 2013), NASA’s space craft has detected chemical “propylene” on ___?
NASA’s Cassini spacecraft has detected propylene, a chemical used to make food-storage containers, car bumps and other consumer products, on Saturn’s moon Titan. According to NASA this is the first definitive detection of the plastic ingredients on any moon or planet, other than Earth.
7. Which of the following has been named as mascot of the 35th National Games to be hosted by Kerala in 2014?
Great Hornbill, which has been christened as “Ammu” is the official mascot of the 35th National games.
8. Recently (October, 2013), India has agreed to resume military supplies to which country?
India has agreed to resume military supplies to Nepal and will soon deliver a multi-role Advanced Light Helicopter to it. India military aid has been stalled for a long time, most notably after the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement between seven political parties and the Maoists in 2006.
9. As per the latest survey, which of the following is emerged as topmost global brand in the world?
Iphone maker Apple has emerged as the world’s topmost global brand in a new report. Interbrand, a corporate identity and brand consulting company, has come out with the list which sees Apple on top, surpassing the previous leader Coca Cola.
10. Which of the following countries is helping Bangladesh to construct its first nuclear power plant?
Bangladesh has begun building the first of two nuclear power plants north of the capital, Dhaka. The plants each with a capacity of 1,000 megawatts are being constructed with Russian help. The $2bn project is funded by $500m of Russian credit and is expected to be fully completed by 2022.
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here