Current Affairs: November 8-9, 2013
1. As per the latest data, which of the following cities has more internet user than any other city in the country?
At 12 million, Mumbai has more internet users than any other city in the country, according to data released by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI). New Delhi ranked No.2 with 8.1 million users, followed by Hyderabad (4.7 million) and Bangalore.
2. Which of the following places is associated with silk weaving industry?
Kancheepuram is popular for its renowned crafted world famous silk sarees, a traditional home industry.
3. The annual “Royal Kathima Ceremony” is associated with which of the following religions?
The Royal Kathima Ceremony is observed every year by Buddhist. It is observed in only one Buddhist temple outside Thailand and this year the Namphake Buddhist temple of Assam was selected. Kathina offering is an ancient Buddhist Tradition of offering special robe and other necessities to monks who maintain strict discipline of retreat during the rainy season. The main purpose of the ceremony is not merely for religious belief but also to strengthen the relationship between Thailand and other countries.
4. Which one of the following countries is not a member of Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries ( OPEC)?
OPEC is an intergovernmental organisation whose mission is to coordinate the policies of the oil-producing countries. OPEC has 12 member countries. In 2008, Indonesia has announced its withdrawal from the OPEC organisation. Since then Indonesia is not a member of OPEC.
5. As per the latest RBI statement, India has just one branch of a foreign bank for every ___ million people. Fill the blank with correct option?
India has just one branch of a foreign bank for every three million people.
6. The “Nathu La” mountain passes, which connects the India and China’s Tibet Autonomous Region is in which state?
Nathu La is mountain pass in the Himalayas. It connects the Indian state of Sikkim with China’s Tibet Autonomous Region.
7. Who among the following has been elected as Tajikistan’s president winning a fourth seven-year term?
[C]Amir Ismail Samani
Tajikistan’s President Imomali Rakhmon has won a new seven-year term in the recently concluded election, receiving 83.1 percent of the vote. Rakhmon, has been at the helm of the poorest ex-Soviet nation since 1992.
8. Which of the following Asian countries are landlocked countries?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1 & 2
[B]Only 2 & 3
[C]Only 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
A landlocked country is a country entirely enclosed by land, or whose only coastlines lie on closed seas. There are 48 landlocked countries in world. Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are landlocked countries in Asia.
9. India born “Martha Dodray” has been honoured with a prestigious UN foundation award for her work in protecting children from the crippling disease. Martha is a health worker from __ ?
Martha Dodray, a a front-line polio worker from Bihar has been honoured with a prestigious UN award for her commitment and dedication to eradicate Polio in India. UN has conferred the UN frontline workers Global Leadership Award to Martha Dodray.
10. The “Voluntary Compliance Encouragement Scheme, 2013” is related to which one of the following?
[A]To encourage self employment among youths
[B]To encourage the defaulters of service tax
[C]To promote exporters
[D]To encourage NRI investors
To encourage the defaulters of service tax
Voluntary Compliance Encouragement Scheme, 2013 has been proposed by the Finance Minister in budget for the year 2013-14, to encourage the defaulters of service tax, who have not declared and paid the tax due for the period from 01.10.2007 to 31.12.2012 which upto first day of March 2013. The eligible assesses may voluntary declare the service tax due under this scheme and he will be refrained from imposition of interest and penalty.
Join GKToday's Mock Test Series for UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2016 here