Current Affairs: November 5, 2013
1. As per the latest report by Central Statistics Office (CSO), which state recorded highest sex ratio in 110 years?
West Bengal has recorded highest sex ration in 110 years. As per the 15th edition of the report “Women and Men in India” published by CSO Bengal’s sex ratio 949 is at its highest since 1901.
2. Which of the following nations has attained top position in the 2013 Expat Explorer survey released by HSBC recently?
Expats living in five Asian countries report the greatest satisfaction and quality of life, according to the 2013 Expat Explorer survey released by HSBC recently. As per the survey Thailand ranked first, followed Bahrain, China and Cayman Islands. India placed 7th out of 37 countries.
3. According to latest figures released by the union ministry of communication and information technology, which of the following states has lowest teledensity in the country?
As per the figures released by the union ministry of communication and information technology Uttar Pradesh has lowest teledensity in the country. The overall teledensity of the state stands at 34.33, the lowest in the country. The top performer in the country is Delhi with a teledensity of 220.10, followed by Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab with a teledensity of 108.75, 105.90 and 104.52 respectively.
4. “Gamani Corea” who passed away recently, was one of the chief architect of national planning of which country?
Gamani Corea was one of the chief architects of Sri Lanka’s first national plan in the late 1950. Corea was also a seasoned diplomat, who held key positions such as Secretary-General of the UN Conference on Trade and Development.
5. The Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has selected Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT) as one of the designed laboratories to test samples for detection of chemicals that can be used to make chemical weapons. The IICT is located at __?
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology is located in Hyderabad. IICT has been selected for the 5th consecutive year, as one of the designed laboratories of the organisation for prohibition of chemical weapons to test samples for detection of chemicals that can be used to make chemical weapons.
6. Recently (November, 2013), which of the following countries is in news for developing dengue-blocking mosquito?
Vietnam has developed dengue-blocking mosquitoes. The mosquitoes have been intentionally infected with bacteria called WolbachiaApart from insects, it also infects spiders, mites, filarial nematodes etc. Thus for humans, Wlbachia is a parasite on parasites. This makes it very important ....., which essentially blocks them from getting dengue.
7. Which of the following countries has largest reservoir of Coltan or “colombo-tantalite ore”, a mineral used to make vital components of mobile phones?
[A]Democratic Republic of Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo
Coltan or colombo-tantalite ore is a mineral used to make electric capacitors in computers, gaming consoles and mobile phones. Democratic Republic of Congo has more than 70% of the world’s coltan. Most of the coltan mines in the DRC are in remote South Kivu district.
8. The Planet which has highest escape velocity in solar system is ___?
Escape velocity is the minimum velocity that a body must attain to escape a gravitation field completely. Jupiter has highest escape velocity among planets. This is because Jupiter has highest mass. The escape velocity of Jupiter is 59.5 km/s.
9. Recently, India has signed a clean tech pact to produce ethanolEthanol is the second member of the alcoholic series. Ethanol is commonly known as alcohol. It is a constituent of all alcoholic beverages namely beer, ..... with ___?
10. As per the estimate, India has highest rate of rabies in Asia and in the world. Apart from India which of the following Asian countries have highest rate of rabies cases?
[A]China and Indonesia
[B]Vietnam and Thailand
[C]Vietnam and China
[D]China and Thailand
Vietnam and Thailand
As estimated 31,000 human deaths occur annually from rabies in Asia, including about 20,000 in India, which has highest rate of human rabies in the world primarily due to stray dogs. Vietnam had the second highest rate, followed by Thailand; in these countries, the virus is primarily transmitted through canines.