Jaipur Literature Festival, begins
- Fifth Jaipur Literature Festival begins in Jaipur on 19th January.
- About 250 writers from India and abroadparticipating in the 5-day long Jaipur Literature Festival.
- In a session on 'Truth of Poetry and Truth of Politics', Union Minister Mr Kapil Sibbal says that the Government does not believe in censorship on Internet and that no step has been taken in this regard.
- Writers, critics, film makers and translators from various countries have expressed their views in various sessions on different literary and social issues.
- Jaipur literature festival is now recognized as an important literary event of Asia-Pacific region.
- The absense of Salman Rashdie was more prominent that this expected presence and attracts media all over country.
- Author Salman Rushdie cancelled his visit to India for the Jaipur Literature Festival citing threats to his life. In a statement read out to the press by festival producer Sanjoy K Roy, the Booker Prize winning author stated that he had been told by intelligence sources in Maharashtra and Rajasthan that paid assassins from the Mumbai underworld may be on their way to Jaipur to eliminate him. Later Rashdie tweeted that Police intentionally kept him out.
SC dismisses the PIL of Grenadiers Association
- Supreme Court dismisses a PIL seeking a direction to the government to restore the Army Chief Gen V K Singh's date of birth as May 10, 1951.
- The honourable court said that writ petition filed at the behest of an association is not maintainable and this is purely a service matter.
People of A & N First to get Resident Identity Smart card, RIC
- The People of Andaman and Nicobar Islands becomethe first among Indians to receive the Resident Identity Smart card, RIC under the National Population Register, NPR scheme.
- Home Minister P Chidambaram distributes the first batch of the RIC smart cards at Porthrapur village in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- RIC cards are distributed to all persons above the age of 18 residing in the nine maritime states and four union territories under the National Population Register, NPR scheme.
- The objective of the NPR scheme is to provide valid identity to all people in these areas to strengthen the security along the country's coastline.
India signs USD 130 Million agreement with World Bank for NE projects
- India and the World Bank have signed an agreement worth 130 Million US dollars to improve the livelihoods for over three lakh village households in the North Eastern region of the country.
- The money will be used to finance the Centre's efforts to empower rural communities in the growth-deficient North East region under the North East Rural Livelihoods Project, NERLP.
- The project is being implemented in the eight districts of the four participating states of the North east which include Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
R.Natraj apointed chairman of TNPSC
- Tamil Nadu Government appoints retired director general of police (DGP) R.Natraj as the chairman of the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) that is mired in corruption complaints now a days.
Merck-Tagore award established by Merck Pharma
- Merck, the Germany based pharmaceutical and chemical company, announced the institution of the Merck-Tagore Award to recognise special contributions for promoting cultural exchange between India and Germany.
Pakistan's Ajmal becomes world's highest-ranked spinner
- Pakistani off-spinner Saeed Ajmal has become world s highest ranking spinner a day after guiding his team to a comprehensive ten wicket win in the first Test against England in three days.
Sand artist Sudarshan to receive Godavari award
- Odisha-based International sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has been selected for the Godavari Puraskar, 2012.
Planning Commission approves Rudrasagar Drainage Development Scheme for Tripura
- Planning Commission has given investment clearance for the scheme Rudrasagar Drainage Development Scheme, Tripura.
- This Rs. 14 Crore Scheme would restrict water spread area of the lake during monsoon and maintain water level of 13 m during winters and maintain water level of 11 m for boosting the ecology of the area.