Current Affairs: January 15, 2012
137 foundation day of Indian Metrological Department observed
- In the year 1875, the Government of India established the India Meteorological Department, bringing all meteorological work in the country under a central authority.
- Mr. H. F. Blanford was appointed Meteorological Reporter to the Government of India.
- The first Director General of Observatories was Sir John Eliot who was appointed in May 1889 at Calcutta headquarters.
- The headquarters of IMD were later shifted to Shimla, then to Poona (now Pune) and finally to New Delhi.
- 137 foundation day of Indian Metrological Department observed on 15 January 2012.
15th Round of Indo-China Border Talks begins in New Delhi
- Special Representatives from India and China meet in New Delhi from January 16 for the fifteenth round of border talks.
- India and China have already concluded an agreement on political parameters and guiding principles to address the border issue in 2005.
- In addition to the India-China boundary issue discussions on a wide range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest are expected to be held in the two day deliberations.
- India is represented by National Security Adviser, Shivshankar Menon.
- China represented by State Councillor and special representative Dai Bingguo.
Bhogali Bihu festival celebrated in Assam
- Bhogali Bihu or Magh Bihu is a harvest festival and marks the end of harvesting season.
- The festival celebrates in Assam with traditional pomp and gaiety on 15 January, coinciding with Makara Sankranti.
- People exchanged greetings, bid adieu to the winter season and welcome the religious month of Magh.
Pongal celebrated in Tamil Nadu and Other parts of South India
- Pongal celebrated with traditional fervour in Tamil Nadu and other parts of southern India.
- In Sri Lanka, the Hindus celebrated Thaipongal on this day, the occasion signifies beginning of the month of Thai.
Makaravilakku festival celebrated in Kerala
- Thousands of pilgrims thronged the famous Lord Ayyappa temple in Sabarimala for the makaravilakku festival.
- Pilgrims flock here every year for darshan of Lord Ayyappa on the most auspicious makarasankranti day.
Ma Ying-jeou re-elected president of Taiwan
- Ma Ying-jeou has been re-elected as President of the Republic of China (Taiwan) for a four year term.
- Ma had previously won the presidency by 58.45% of the popular vote in the presidential election of 2008, and has been recently re-elected in 2012 with 51.5% of the vote.
Australia wins Test Series
- Hosts Australia wins the 4-match Test series against India, with the MS Dhoni led side losing the third cricket test at Perth by an innings and 37 runs.
- The latest defeat was India's seventh consecutive defeat on international soil.
- The latest defeat was also the second straight innings defeat in the tournament.
Moiben Laban wins Mumbai Marathon 2012
- Kenya's Moiben Laban wins the Full Marathon category of the Mumbai Marathon 2012.
- Moiben accomplished the target in 2 hours and 11 minutes.
- India's Ram Singh Yadav won the race among the Indian contenders qualifying for the London Olympics.
- Netsanet Abeyo from Ethiopia has won in the women's Marathon.
- Indians Soji Mathew and Priyanka Singh were the winners of the half marathon in the men and women's category.