Current Affairs: February 14, 2012
- Amartya Sen bestowed with the esteemed National Medals of Arts and Humanities award by US President Barrack Obama.
- Amartya Sen awarded for his attempts to enhance the understanding of fighting hunger and poverty.
India-Seychelles ink pacts
1) Agreement for the supply of Coastal Surveillance Radar Systems by India
2) Agreement b/w Seychelles and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the supply of a Dornier Aircraft by HAL, India
- India reiterated its commitment to continue its support to Seychelles for its security, development and in its capacity-building efforts.
- BASIC countries, Brazil, South Africa, India and China expressed deep concern and reiterated their firm opposition to the inclusion of international aviation in the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Former Australian first-class pacer Joe Dawes will take over as the Indian cricket team's bowling coach after Eric Simons’ tenure comes to an end at the completion of the ongoing tour of Australia.
- Mr Jaydeep N Shah of Nagpur has been elected President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for 2012-13.
- Mr Subodh Kumar Agrawal of the eastern region has elected as Vice President, ICAI.
- Author Vikram Sampath won the Sahitya Academi Yuva Puraskar 2011, for his biography 'My Name is Gauhar Jaan - the Life and Times of a Musician'.
- His second book 'My name is Gauhar Jaan!-the life and times of a musician' is the biography of Gauhar Jaan, India's first classical musician to record on the gramophone.
ASSOCHAM: Gujarat 1st , Maharashtra 2nd in attracting investments
- As per the Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM): Gujarat 1st and Maharashtra 2nd most lucrative investment destination in attracting live investment proposals at the end of 2011
- Maharashtra has clocked a share of about 11.74% in the total live investments worth Rs 120.34 lakh crore at the end of the year
- Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Karnataka have emerged as the preferred investment destinations by attracting 53.56% of the total live investments.
- Gujarat, with 16.28 lakh crore, has emerged as the most preferred investment destination, followed by Maharashtra Rs 14.14 lakh crore, Andhra Pradesh Rs 12.09 lakh crore, Odisha Rs 12.09 lakh crore, Karnataka Rs 9.85 lakh crore and the remaining 15 states attracted total investment proposals worth Rs 55.89 lakh Crore.
‘AYUSH’ to be incorporated in National Health Schemes
- Govt scheduling to launch a special scheme for delivery of healthcare services in 100 out of 264 focus districts nationwide where the health indicators are very low, by integrating allopathic and other Indian systems of medicine shortly.
- Under the scheme, joint teams of doctors of Allopathy, Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy systems of medicine will visit villages frequently to bring about an improvement in the general health condition of people.
- Modalities were being worked out to include AYUSH systems of medicine in all national health programmes within two years.
- Doctors of Allopathy and AYUSH to visit villages to improve general health condition of people
- Researchers of AYUSH urged to develop protocols unique to Indian systems of medicine
Pink City Jaipur to be twinned with Mauritian Capital Port Louis
- The Pink City Jaipur to be twinned with the Mauritian capital Port Louis in coming years.
- The capital of Mauritius, named after King Louis XV by Captain Dufresne d'Arsel who took possession of the 6.3 sq km island during the turn of the 18th century, will soon have a team from Jaipur visiting it. Mauritius, the Indian Ocean Island has a sizeable population of people of Indian origin.
- Twinning will be done after Mayoral level discussions.
- Textiles, jewellery and tourism are the areas where Mauritius and Rajasthan can work together.
- MoU to be signed with Rajasthan
Central Govt castoffs appeal to rename Bhopal
- The Central Govt rejected the Madhya Pradesh Government's offer to rename capital Bhopal as Bhojpal (after Raja Bhoj of the Parmar dynasty).