Who was first Chief Justice of Delhi High Court?
During British Era, Punjab and Delhi came under the jurisdiction of High Court of Lahore, which was established on March 21, 1919 by a Letters Patent. After independence, the High Court (Punjab) Order 1947 created a new High Court and thus, Delhi came under this new High Court. On 5th September 1966, the Delhi High Court Act was passed considering the large population of the city. Consequently, the High Court was established on 31st October, 1966. Initially, Delhi HC exercised jurisdiction not only over Delhi but also Himachal Pradesh until the enactment of the State of Himachal Pradesh Act, 1970, which came into force on January 25, 1971. Justice KS Hegde was first Chief Justice of Delhi High Court. Further, Justice G Rohini was first woman Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
So far, Delhi High Court has given 25 judges to the Supreme Court of India. Its sanctioned strength is 60 judges. The six district courts that come under Delhi High Court include Tis Hazari Courts Complex (established in 1958), Patiala House Courts Complex (established in 1977), Karkardooma Courts Complex (established in 1993), Rohini Courts Complex (established in 2005), Dwarka Courts Complex (established in 2008), and Saket Courts Complex (established in 2010).