Importance and Need of Value Education
“Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.” ― C.S. Lewis
Value education is rooted in Indian philosophy and culture and ingrained in every tradition of Indian culture. Educational institutions play a significant role in the promotion of value. The Vedas and Upanishads form the source of inspiration for value education. In the Vedic period, In Ashram education, the Guru insists his sishya to follow certain values throughout his life.
Socialist, Secular, Democratic, Justice, Liberty Equality, Fraternity, Dignity of the individuals and integrity of the nation are the ideal conditions in the Constitution. Our values in life must draw their inspiration from these ideals. University education commission 1948-49 mentioned the various aspects of morality as: loyalty, courage, discipline, self-sacrifice and spirituality.
The Secondary Education Commission 1952-53 laid special emphasis on the following values in the formation of character of the students:
- Good Temper
Need for Value Education
- Moral awareness should be endorsed to orient the progress in science & technology towards the welfare of mankind.
- Common values should be re-discovered to unite human beings with the general decline of traditional values.
- Teachers pass values to the students both consciously and unconsciously through their conduct in and out of class rooms. Therefore the need for a consciously planned value education program is obvious to establish a formal learning.
- The students might face more complicated decision making situations about issues involving values. They should be helped in developing the ability to make proper choices in such situations through value education.
- Increase in Juvenile delinquency is a crisis to youth who under goes the process of personal growth. In such situation value education assumes a special significance.
- Value Education awakens curiosity, development of proper interests, attitudes, values and capacity to think and judge about oneself.
- Value Education helps in Promoting Social and Natural Integration.
Aims and Objectives of Value Education
Value education should aim at the development of values of the following type.
- Scientific temper of mind.
- Large heartedness.
- Respect for the culture of other groups.
Last Updated: December 18, 2015