What are obstacles in Girls’ Education in India?
It is rightly stated that “Educating a boy is educating a person… Educating a girl is educating a nation”. Some of the major barriers which stand for girls education are as follows-
- Lack of consciousness amongst the female members to be educated.
- Lack of safe transportation for girls to go to school.
- Financial constraints in the family.
- Conservative mentality.
- The task of performing domestic duties at home such as cleaning, washing, etc.
- The lack of women teachers in primary and middle schools has been a major factor for low enrolment of girls.
- Unwillingness of many parents to send their daughter to mixed schools.
- Early Marriage age in many states acts as an obstacle.
Some of the major initiatives for promotion of girls’ education include Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao; Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (KGBV); Sarva Siksha Abhiyan. Further, the following suggestions you may write in your answers:
- Serious efforts must be made by the government in collaboration with civil society wherein awareness must be created amongst the parents for promoting girls education.
- Use of media in portraying a positive image of women.
- Financial assistance to poverty stricken families.
- Counselling of parents and children from unprivileged families.