137 foundation day of Indian Metrological Department observed
- In the year 1875, the Government of India established the India Meteorological Department, bringing all meteorological work in the country under a central authority.
- Mr. H. F. Blanford was appointed Meteorological Reporter to the Government of India.
- The first Director General of Observatories was Sir John Eliot who was appointed in May 1889 at Calcutta headquarters.
- The headquarters of IMD were later shifted to Shimla, then to Poona (now Pune) and finally to New Delhi.
- 137 foundation day of Indian Metrological Department observed on 15 January 2012.